[mythtv-users] Recording Quality [0.16]

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 03:25:54 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, joe.white at wachovia.com <joe.white at wachovia.com> wrote:

> I first installed MythTV 0.16 in Jan 2005. It worked perfectly and I was
> smug and content.  I didn't tweak the box any beyond the parameters of
> Jarod's basic install instructions on the principle that if it ain't broke
> don't fix it.  For three months all was good.  Then on April 13 the video
> and audio quality began to degrade.  Old shows still play flawlessly, but
> newly recorded shows tend to flash, chirp loudly and have intermittant
> blockiness.  Since then I have made adjustments to the recording profiles
> bit rates based on archival information in this list.  I have tightened my
> cable connection with a wrench.  I have also done some half-heated
> experimentation with TV playback, but since only new recordings seem to be
> affected, I haven't invested much there.
>
> I am coming to the conclusion that either the cable quality has degraded or
> the PVR-250(not MCE) is going bad.  Any thoughts on the matter?
>
> Fedora Core 3
> MythTV 0.16 Frontend and Backend

Joe,

Have you experimented by playing one of the new recordings (they're
MPEG2 files named as .nuv) outside of myth - using xine and mplayer?
This will help determine if the problem is myth related or not.

Also, are you still using the same ivtv drivers as before or have they
been updated at some point?

Finally, on the heat issue, have you tried running the system with the
case open during a recording and playback to see if the reduction in
heat around the PVR card reduces the degradation you are experiencing?

Nick