[mythtv-users] Alternative to Zap2It?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net
Thu Apr 21 15:52:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 11:26, Joe Votour wrote:
> As much as I hate to say it, if Zap2It stopped
> providing the free data, then (likely) one of two
> things would happen:

> 2. We'd go back to using screen scrapers (back before
> the first version of MythTV that natively supported
> Zap2It).  This was somewhat painful, as I remember
> guide downloads were taking up to 20 minutes per day,
> and it was a real bandwidth hog to Zap2It (which is
> why they gave us direct access in the first place).

What I would really like to see if we go back to screen scrapers is the
ability to use a separate one for each channel.  I want to go directly
to Comedy Central's web site so that I get the episode information on
all the South Park reruns that often doesn't get out to the
aggregators.  Likewise, I would like to write one to get my local public
access channel schedule from the town web site (after I pester them to
publish it).

Of course, if Zap2It cuts of off directly, there are plenty of other web
sites (e.g., Yahoo) that republish the same information.

--PC