[mythtv-users] Alternative to Zap2It?

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 17:16:18 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, Preston Crow <pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> Right.  That's why you use an aggregated source as a backup, as well as
> for channels where you don't get the data.  You can also use that source
> to verify the time zone shift.

Right much more limited data.

> Ultimately, however, going straight to the source should get you the
> best data with the fewest licensing issues.

Except for the other technical hurdles, and the fact that 100
different sources means 100 diffferent versions of series/episode IDs
and the like (if they're even there).

> Also, keep in mind that many stations publish their schedules much farther in
> advance than the aggregators will deal with.

Actually the fall off for *reliable* data is about 17 days.  Beyond
that most stations don't provide data, and the ones that do are in
flux.

> By going straight to the station web sites, you can schedule a full month in
> advance for many stations.  That's a huge win.

That's  a one piece of the data used myth and provided by DD.  How
about the rest of it?  Program guide data != show name + show time.

> I don't care about the mass market.  I'm in the do-it-yourself market.

Do-it-yourself doesn't need to mean half-assed.