[mythtv-users] OT: avidemux2 question

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Apr 22 00:05:00 UTC 2005

> No.  However, it means that when playing back recordings in MythTV,
> you're using 74% for master and 52% for PCM and when you use the volume
> button (F10 or F11) in Myth, the Master volume is changed.
>
> I set my Master to 90%, use /dev/mixer with mixer controls PCM, so when
> I use the volume button, I change the PCM volume.  I chose this approach
> because xine and MPlayer both default to using mixer controls PCM (so
> I'm changing the same volume regardless of application).
>
> Which brings me to my point--remember that (unless you specified the
> "Internal" player) MythVideo uses an external player (i.e. xine or
> MPlayer).  Each application tends to "remember" the settings for you.
> So, for example, if you watch something using MythTV, your volume snaps
> back to 74%/52%.  You volume up a couple of times changing to 74%/74%.
> Then, you may go into xine or MPlayer and it may snap the PCM volume to
> 30% and leaves Master at 74% (to the best of my knowledge, neither xine
> nor MPlayer set both master and PCM on startup).  Since you originally
> tested xine with Master at 90%--at which point the 30% sounded good--it
> seems that post-avidemux volume is different.  This is also probably why
> you have such "seemingly-random" settings for both PCM and Master. ;)
>
> In fact, it's probably your dueling volume controls that's causing the
> confusion.  I recommend either setting Myth to Master 90%, Mixer Device
> /dev/mixer, Mixer Controls PCM or changing all your external
> applications to adjust master volume (which can be very difficult when
> you factor in playing CD's with digital audio extraction--i.e. which
> uses the CD channel--as well as other playback modes).  Changing your
> Myth settings is probably easiest.

Mike/William,

Thanks for the replies. After reading this reply I realize I must have
been asleep at the wheel when I wrote my original question, because I
left out an important detail. I said I was using mythvideo, which is
partially true, because sometimes I use it (with the Internal player). I
really have the volume problem when I play the videos over NFS using an
MVP1000 and the mvpmc software.

I apologize for the major oversight. So my problem is the volume of the
MPEG videos themselves. OR, mvpmc/mvp1000 is the problem.

Maybe I'll try to play a video on my computer and also play a DVD and
see if the volume levels are similar. Maybe that would at least give me
an unscientific starting point at where the problem really lies.

Thanks,
James