[mythtv-users] Re: Playback of Transcoded (MPEG4) file on Epia ME6000

Ivor Hewitt ivor.hewitt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 14:36:28 UTC 2005

The gcc compiler hasn't got any scheduling logic for the c3 since via
hasn't released that information or contributed to the gcc
development..... and since the c3 design is based off the old cyrix
dies I suspect that the 586 optimisations might be a reasonable match.

-Os is all very well but that just tries to pack everything into the
smallest space and so disables all word alignment and doesn't try to
optimise the code for speed. -O2 seems like a reasonable compromise
for the c3. It doesn't unroll loops but does do some optimisations.

Personally I always found "586 and -O2" gave decent performance...
with the added benefit I can use the same binaries on P3, C3 and C3-2
which helps testing and debugging (for me).

If I have time I might run some benchmarks with different options.