[mythtv-users] Suggestion: Splicing channels.

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 23 18:44:54 UTC 2005

I don't know what format captures from the software
cards come in, but I'm assuming it's mostly a raw
frame format (i.e. something like ARGB8888, where
there's full information).  This information is later
compressed by MythTV into something that doesn't take
as much space on the hard drive.  You might be able to
take advantage of this and strip away what you don't
need.

MPEG-2 is a different story though.  If you can tell
the capture card to capture only a certain screen
region (as opposed to a screen size), then you might
be okay.

If you can't specify the screen region to capture,
then you must parse every MPEG-2 packet, since any of
them could contain a change to anywhere on the screen
(unless the capture card is using I-frame striping,
which somewhat alleviates this issue, as you'd be
guaranteed that the changes are isolated to a strip of
the screen, not the entire screen).

I'm still learning about this stuff myself (it's my
job), but I have the advantage of having hardware
MPEG-2 encoding and decoding, with no processing
needed.  :)

-- Joe