[mythtv-users] PVR-150 not recording the entire screen

Al Faller faller at alfaller.com
Tue Apr 26 14:54:17 UTC 2005

Hi all -

Just this weekend I upgraded from an analog haupphauge card to a PVR-150.
It *almost* works fine.  It appears to be recording at something slightly
larger than 720x480, as even 720x480 appears to be missing a few lines
(not enough to really complain about).  Ideally I would like to work at
480x480, but this is even worse when it comes to chopping the recording.

I am using the ivtv-0.2.0-rc3j drivers (which contain the pvr-150
backport) on a debian sarge machine running 2.6.11.  I'm in the USA, so
NTSC is the format I am working in.  I switched to the recommended
firmware from ivtv, but still the same results.

I see the following output in dmesg which pops up every time I try to
record something:

cx25840: Decoder set size 720x480 (from 720x487) -> scale  0x65529, filter
0

So, I am guessing that it really isn't downshifting from the 720x487 it
claims to be using (although ivtvctl never says that value - it says the
one I last used).  I see the same 720x487 when attempting to have myth use
480x480 to record in.  This occurs in both live and recorded shows.

I also tested it via the simple "cat /dev/video > file.mpg" test, and even
after forcing it to 480x480 with ivtvctl, it still chops the screen.  its
hard to tell if it was chopping the screen at 720x480 because it is only a
few lines.

Has anyone successfully made the pvr-150 work properly with mythtv for
NTSC?  Any recommendations on what to try (maybe the newer ivtv drivers?).

I appreciate in advance any help!  Also, thats for such a great piece of
software.  I absolutely love playing with all this stuff.

Al