[mythtv-users] First frontend only machine

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 22:28:09 UTC 2005

Hi,
   After setting up MythTV and recording overnight I'm ready to start
looking more deeply into what I'll eventually be placing at multiple
(4-5) locations in the house. I could use your inputs on what some of
the most reasonable alternatives are:

1) XBox with mods
   - What mods? Who's mod chip really is best?
   - Purchase modified XBox ready to go?
   - Software only mods for now? (no mod chip?)

2) Build some sort of small machine
   - Prefer no fan
   - Epia?
   - I do not currently require DVD playback, etc., although it would
be fun in the future.

   Presumably there would be value in having a hardware mpeg decoder,
or am I mistaken about this?

   So, is there a really simple way for me to try out an XBox to see
how it fits? I don't mind the $149 cost of the unit even if it turns
out to not be what we want. Does anyone make a simple modified version
for purchase that's ready to run Linux?

Thanks,
Mark