[mythtv-users] Slowest processor for software HDTV decoding

Seth Heckard seth.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:41:50 UTC 2005

I know there has been a lot of discussions here lately about HDTV
decoding and processor speeds and such, however I get the feeling that
the recommended 3GHz P4 spec is a little overkill.

Basically, I am asking for the slowest (and theroretically cheapest)
processor that can decode all HD formats, and ideally have headroom
left over for things like commercial flagging and deinterlacing if
required.  I could care less about P4 vs. Celeron vs. AMD64 as long as
it gets the job done.  For the sake of argument, assume that a Nvidia
FX 5200 will be used with DVI output and no XvMC.