[mythtv-users] 169time and new Firewire capture ability

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 07:27:36 UTC 2005

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> What does the 1394 port that 169time gives you _do_ then?   If you
> can
> use it with a TV with 1394 in or a digital tape deck with 1394 in,
> can't one just pretend to be like these to get the stream?  Or does
> it
> check for 5C copy protection compliance or similar?

I don't own the product, but from what I gather it's output does not
implement any standard for transfer of video data.  It comes out in
some proprietary format that needs to be transformed by another box.
He sells a PC running a special program for this purpose.  It all
struck me as rather hokey and overpriced.  I actually own one of the
Toshiba HD satellite receivers that they modify, but I can't see
throwing money away on this "upgrade."