[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Frontend - HDTV Capable?

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Thu Apr 28 13:11:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:42:45AM -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:

> "All it would take is for their video hardware to support HD size
> MPEG2 acceleration". That's like saying "All it would take is to have
> the processor speed become irrelevant, and it would work". If you read
> the rest of my post, I go on to say that if there were optimizations
> for the mac hardware, it'd be fine, but those optimizations will not
> likely be forthcoming for some time.

I went looking at the info Apple has up about Tiger and its Core Image
technology.  At http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html, it says that
the mini uses a Radeon 9200.  The short list of supported cards on the
Core Image page http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/ seems to
indicate that the mini won't get the hardware support required for HD
playback.  We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

-- Trey