[mythtv-users] VGA to Component adaptors

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Thu Apr 28 18:04:14 UTC 2005

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I think I'm just going to get the
> Crescendo unit, it seems to be the one to get. Now, do I get internal or
> external...I have one free PCI slot...but then I couldn't add another
> tuner...grrr... :)

for what it's worth: i'm kicking myself for not getting the internal one
now :( ... at the time, i had one machine for myth, so i didn't have
free pci slots... now i've got a number free (even one more if i get the
SPIDF out on my ASUS board working properly) ...

note that if you get the internal, you have to pay extra for the VGA
passthrough if you want it (ironically slightly more than the difference
b/n the external and internal) ... plus, it takes up yet another
expansion slot in your case ... (this was not an option when i initially
bought mine, so i didn't bother with the internal ... *kicks self again*) :)

i'd say if you have a good-sized case or don't care about vga-breakout,
go for the internal (then, if you need the vga-breakout, you can add it)
... if you need the vga breakout and are nervous about pci slot
realestate, go for the external ... from what i've read, they're both
great products (i can attest for the ext)... also, remember that the
external has a block-style plugin for power, where as the internal uses
the PCI bus for power.

hth,
jesse