[mythtv-users] 169time and new Firewire capture ability

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu Apr 28 21:29:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:27:36AM -0700, Joe Barnhart wrote:

> --- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
>
> > What does the 1394 port that 169time gives you _do_ then?   If you
> > can
> > use it with a TV with 1394 in or a digital tape deck with 1394 in,
> > can't one just pretend to be like these to get the stream?  Or does
> > it
> > check for 5C copy protection compliance or similar?
>
> I don't own the product, but from what I gather it's output does not
> implement any standard for transfer of video data.  It comes out in
> some proprietary format that needs to be transformed by another box.
> He sells a PC running a special program for this purpose.  It all
> struck me as rather hokey and overpriced.  I actually own one of the
> Toshiba HD satellite receivers that they modify, but I can't see
> throwing money away on this "upgrade."

The question is, what other choices will be available.  Like most people
here I can't stand watching live TV, and now that I am getting used to
HDTV I find it annoying to watch analog capture SDTV too.

For now people can get digital cable with 1394 but I fear that's not
going to last once the cable companies get their act together (though
it would be nice) though I also find that overpriced.

Right now we're surviving because most HDTV is on broadcast channels
which we can tune with Myth.   Mostly you miss ESPNhd, Discovery HD
and, if you buy them, the premium movie channels, which admittedly would
be very nice to get in HD on Myth.

So this box (if the satellite companies don't figure a way around his
hack) may become the only path.