[mythtv-users] Firewire 6200 playback problem

Andy Alsup aalsup at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 06:05:34 UTC 2005

Ok, so I don't know if other are having the same problem I am, but I
suspect it has something to do with the way myth changes channels and
starts recording on firewire.

A large number of my files (I said 30% above, but it might be more)
are unplayable, and crash the backend when mythweb tries to load the
png's.  and I had to turn off preview in the front end just so I could
scroll through the listing without it locking up.

I don't know the cause of the problem, but I have a temporary solution
for myself until the problem is fixed.  The bad files seem to have
extra data in the beginning of the file that causes the mplayer
components to give up on the file.  I guess it is extra firewire stuff
before the video actually starts.  Looks like packets of something,
but I don't know what they are.

So, my solution is a perl script that seeks through the bad files
until a sequence of TS packets are found, then create a new copy of
the file starting at that point.  This process has fixed the 2 dozen
or so files I have tried -- which were completely unplayable
otherwise.  On all of them so far, it has dropped around 50 K off the
front of the file.

If anyone wants a copy of my script I'll post it.  _Use at your own risk_