[mythtv-users] Filesystem problems and now X won't start

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Sat Apr 30 21:14:08 UTC 2005

I am running FC3 for my MythTV box. I am a Linux newbie when it comes to
all this stuff, so please bear with me.

My machine was running fine, but I was having problems with my wireless
networking. I'm using the acx100 drivers from sourceforge. The wireless
stuff has been pretty flaky (causing random crashes after a couple
hours), so I leave the driver modules unloaded unless I need wireless.

This time, just as I brought the drivers up, things went to hell. My
root filesystem (ext3) went read-only. I looked at dmesg and there were
lots of errors about "Journal aborted" Praying, I restarted. Since the
FS was read-only, there were lots of errors on shutdown. When I
restarted, it said there were FS errors and that I should run fsck
manually. I did, asking it to repair everything.

After that, it booted up fine, and I got to the FC login screen (I think
I'm using KDE, not sure). When I typed in my login credentials, it seems
like it's going to log in, and then I get an error message. It says
something like: "Your session lasted less than 10 seconds. If you did
not deliberately log out, then you may have an installation problem or
be out of disk space." Not exactly that, but close. When I click on the
button to view ~/.xsession-errors, it seems that the error is that it
cannot find /usr/share/dbus-1/services

So, what should I do? I can log in at the terminal, and I have plenty of
disk space (I checked with df).

Also, what can cause a FS to go read-only? This has happened to me
before, usually after I insert a CD-ROM or use my USB flash drive. The
entire thing goes read-only and requires fsck when I shut it down and
bring it back up.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Micah

Note 1: When I log in at the terminal, I looked for ~/.xsession-errors,
but I could not find it. Perhaps it is deleted when I successfully log
in using the terminal?

Note 2: Is there any way I can keep it from mounting the root
filesystem?  I'd like to run fsck on it and see if there are any errors,
but I don't want to run fsck on a mounted filesystem.