[mythtv-users] RE: Archiving Shows to DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Aug 1 10:47:43 UTC 2005

>>    1. Demux/Cut MPEG2 content from MythTV with Java based ProjectX. You
>> can download ProjectX from http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/projectx.htm .
>> This application not only has the ability to cut the MPEG (only on
>> keyframes) without reencoding, but it appears to have fixed all of the
>> audio sync problems for me. I have yet to tackle real long stuff but my
>> kids two hour shows are fine.
>>
>>    2. Re-multiplex audio/video streams with mplex
>
> May i ask why one and two are needed? It seems all you are doing is
> taking it apart and putting it back together again. (I know geeks like
> to do that, but I always have a part left over). Seriously though is
> there a particular reason? perhaps you need to demux in order to cut?

 	Likely because a remux is necessary to burn to DVD.  A standard
ivtv stream contains only video and audio.  Burning to DVD requires blank
VOBU packets every so often so dvdauthor can put the necessary info there.
Tools such as replex and dvb-mplex are able to do this on the fly, but
without those two, the only way has been to strip A and V, and then remux
with padding of the VOBU stream (e.g. 'mplex -f8 ...')

>>    3. Create DVD structures with dvdauthor
>
> if you get sick of doing that, dvdstyler is good front end, and will
> make the iso (with a pause to test in xine) as well.

 	Or qdvdauthor.  I haven't compared in a few months, but at that
type I found qdvdauthor to be less unstable and more functional.  (note I
didn't say more stable).

-Cory