[mythtv-users] Experiences with XvMC

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:15:27 UTC 2005

On 7/31/05, Scott <catfather at donpoo.net> wrote:
> Oh yeah, one more thing :) I thought I read that some or all of the
> unichrome chips had a limitation on video out where they could not
> output 1280x720 (720p) video or above. Obviously this is a problem if
> you're trying to hook your unichrome based board to a HDTV that wants
> to accept either 720p or 1080i input sources.

On a mailing list that gets archived and searched quite often it's
best NOT to post things you thing you read as it confuses things.
Next thing you know you've got people quoting your post in irc saying
"I read that some guy said he thought that they didn't do HDTV".  ;)

For the record, the Unichrome Pro chipset DOES offer hardware
acceleration of HDTV streams as well as MPEG4 acceleration.  (Though
the open source drivers don't support MPEG4 acceleration).

That being said, unless you REALLY want/need the mini-ITX form factor,
you're much better off with a Celeron and a decent nVidia AGP based
graphics card.  The mini-ITX based systems make great little silent
frontends but they're seriously lacking in the horsepower needed for a
good general Myth box.