[mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Aug 1 15:27:26 UTC 2005

> The best approach is to add code to avidemux2 (and probably
> mplex/replex/transcode/whatever) to handle varying A/V sync within the
> stream.  Since most players (i.e. xine, MPlayer, and even Myth) can do so, it
> should be possible--the hard part is finding someone willing to make the time
> to make the changes.  (I'll admit I'm being selfish with my time since DISH
> provides a workaround for me.)

 	I've inquired about that on with avideumx developers.  It's pretty
low on the list.  I actually think that something like gopchop of gopdit
is a better place to start.  It will cut the streams in place without
de/remuxing.  It just needs to get some bugs worked out, and figure out
how to set timestamps after a cut.

 	The problem is a matter of heirarchy AIUI.  The synchronization
between the Video and Audio streams that's causing the problem is at the
ProgramStream (PS) level.  That's where the PTS/DTS lives.  Once it's
demuxed, that information is gone.  That's why it needs to be done in
place.

 	A more fundamental question would be how should something like
gopchop deal with cuts.  Allow for 4-5 minute "magic" timeshifts in the
resulting stream?  Change the timestamp of all packets after the first
cut?  Should it also allow for inserting the VOBU padding so another
replex isn't necessary?

 	ProjectX is pretty close to the only one I've found that does it.
It appears to try to fix timestamps and has a dizzing array of options to
do so.  It's intended for manipulating DVB streams (with multiple
programs), so it's fairly complicated.  Too bad it uses the J-language...
much larger than it would need to be for a CLI utility.

-Cory