[mythtv-users] Xine / libdvdcss can't handle dual-sided discs

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 19:40:52 UTC 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 15:26, Michael Haan wrote:
> On 8/1/05, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01/08/05, Till Harbaum <till at harbaum.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > For the PC/Player/DVD-Drive a dual sided DVD isn't any different
> > > from two
> > > different single sided ones. When playing one side none of the
> > > involved parts
> > > sees the second side or has any information about it.
> > >
> > > Or do you expect xine to be able to access both sides without
> > > turning the disc
> > > around? That's impossible, standard DVD drives only have one
> > > pickup (one
> > > laser plus mechanics) and usually only read the "bottom" side of
> > > the DVD.
> >
> > Unless it's a slip of the keyboard and he means "Dual Layer" discs
> > (Though TBH, I've never had any problems with Dual Layer discs, and
> > it's most likely a hardware failure).
> > --
> > Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
>
> Nope - double-sided is what I mean.  It made no sense to me either
> that double-sided would present any issue, as one person suggested.
> What I know is this - I've only had issues with two disks, and they're
> both double-sided.

Perhaps if you provided a few details as to what you mean by "issues",
someone might actually be able to respond intelligibly.  Otherwise,
we're forced to conclude that you just haven't flipped the disc over.

-JAC

PS- Please don't state your problem in the subject line and then not
re-state it in the body of your message.  It's just not good
netiquette.