[mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Aug 2 18:23:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Fredrik Karlsson wrote:

> Just a quick question to the ones that seem to understand how this works:
> Is the cutting -- A/V sync-question only an issue when wanting to
> remove commersials?
 	Not intrinsically, but practically, yes.  The streams produced by
ivtv aren't necessarily *broken*, they're just a little more complicated
than most linux tools expect.  If you're not trying to cut out
commercials, you might be able to remux (using replex or dvb-mplex)
*without* demuxing/remuxing.  In that case, you just insert the VOBU
streams (required for DVD authoring) as it goes without having to
demux/remux.  I have had some streams where these tools get confused
anyway, though.

> An earlier post in this thread seems to indicate that this is an issue
> generally when transforming PVR MPEG2 recordings to DVD. Have I
> understood this correctly?

 	Most of the time, transforming to DVD assumes that you want to
remove the commercials, I'd think.

> Personally, I think that the issue of not having the ability to create
> a (standard compliant) DVD from the recordings in a simple way, is the
> one thing that sets MythTV back in WAF.
> :-)

 	True, but it's not just an issue with mythtv.  There are a couple
of frontends (mythtvburn looks pretty sexy, for instance).  The trouble is
that the backend tools don't exist in non-broken form.  The mythtv devels
are busy working on the stuff they want to, which tends to be PVR-related
stuff... not mpeg crunching utilities.  Those should rightly be reserved
for some backend engine... it just happens to not exist completely yet...
:)

-Cory