[mythtv-users] Different audio recording levels across sources

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 04:49:39 UTC 2005

On 8/2/05, Dan Wilga <dwilga at mtholyoke.edu> wrote:
> The problem is that the Dish receivers send audio that is
> significantly lower in volume than what my cable company puts on the
> wire. The result is that whenever I want to watch a program recorded
> from the dish I have to increase the volume, or when watching a CATV
> program I have to reduce the volume.

> Is there an option somewhere I'm missing, or should this be a feature request?

I don't believe there is anything built-in to handle this.  However,
here/'s a quick-hack idea I just thought:

I'm not quite sure if it will work or not; it depends on whether or
not myth will still try to tune the tuner even if you have a "change
channel script" set.

Create two shell scripts;  they can even be one-liners; all they need
to do is call the ivtvctl program, which you can use to set the volume
level of the card (see documentation elsewhere, I don't remember the
details off the top of my head).  Create one that adjusts the volume
level of cable down, and one (or edit your curent one if you have one
already for Dish) that sets the volume level for Dish to max (the
default, but I would actually reccomend you go 5-10% below max because
the PVR250/350 cards actually clip/distort the audio a bit at max).

Have myth call these as the "channel change script"and hopefully it
will adjust the audio levels each time you tune to a new channel (to a
level appropriate for the source).

Not sure how this will interact with Myth's internal volume setting though.
--
Ian Trider
iantri at gmail.com

MSN:     iantri at gmx.net (preferred)