[mythtv-users] Tuning in a DVB-T card

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Wed Aug 3 19:50:47 UTC 2005

david clements wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Ive been trying to get mythtv working for some time under fedora, previously I
>was struggling due to poor Driver support for the 90002 Nova-T but I think by
>using FC4 I have got past that. I am struggling however to get channels tuned
>in, while the channel list is populated this has come from xmltv rather than
>tuning so the channels can not be reached. All scans I have run from mythsetup
>have come up blank, do I need to enter a transport frequency or channel
>frequency to scan? If so where can these frequencies to try be found?
>
>Thankyou
>
>David

I've found you need to give the channel scanner some "starting" values -
It then seems to find all other options by itself.

The values you need can be found in a channels.conf file, as used by the
tool "tzap". Such a file can be created using the tool "scan". Example
.conf files (as well as the tzap and scan apps) are in the Debian
package dvb-utils.

For example, from
/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/channels.conf-dvbt-oxford.gz (Oxford
area transmitter):

BBC-Choice:578000000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:620:621

The values are handily in the order Myth wants them, so just plug in
numbers until you run out of spaces, and hit next - it'll then scan not
only that frequency, but all others which are "linked" to that one, e.g.
in my case 850000000 and others are also scanned when i ask for 578000000

This may or may not be the intended behaviour, but it works for me.

--Jo Shields