[mythtv-users] Tuning Issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 4 01:09:09 UTC 2005

Marty Ravell wrote:

>OK, I'll work on getting mythfilldatabase working properly.
>
>I cannot help but think that using ptune-ui and mplayer would be completely
>independent of what is in the MythTV database though.

It is.  The problem is that using the PVR-x50's from the command line
requires you to understand a lot about ivtv and the required settings
for your specific card.  However, when using a program that knows how
ivtv works (i.e. Myth), it takes care of a lot of stuff for you--you set
relatively few "human readable" settings and it sets a lot of
ivtv-specific settings in response.  So, often if you don't get the
command-line tests working, your best bet is to continue on as if they
had worked and you may be pleasantly surprised when you test it out with
Myth.  I hope you're pleasantly surprised.

If you really feel you need to know how to use ivtv from the command
line, may I suggest you inquire further on the ivtv mailing lists.

Mike