[mythtv-users] New Linux User Attempt...
samiel at samiel.com
Thu Aug 4 14:40:56 UTC 2005
Hi all! I'm pretty new to Linux and thought I'd give MythTV a try...
well, it's been very tough going so far...
* I got my wireless network card to work with NDISWrapper!
* I'm using Debian (Sarge)
* My hardware is a (dedicated for MythTV) Duron 900MHz, PVR-350, 200L IR
Blaster, 704MB RAM, TI4200 Video card
* I am using an external DirecTV (Hughes SD-HBH) box with no ports, so I
have to use an IR Blaster.
* I installed Debian 2.6.8 off of DVD (I downloaded the ISOs).
* I was able to get wireless going with NDISWrapper.
* I installed MythTV off of the link in the FAQ via the package.
Things that are working:
* Debian - In general
* PVR-350 IR Receiver - I can send remote codes to MythTV
* Video Out - I don't think I have any nVidia drivers loaded, so output
via the video card itself is pretty choppy. When I go video out through
the PVR-350, it's a breeze.
* Recording - It records fine... on one channel anyhow.
Things that are not working:
* IR Blaster - I have the Actisys 200L, but I haven't gotten it to work
yet. I want to use the Hauppage remote to control my DirecTV box. I am
guessing that I need to train this remote first then use that file for
outputting commands. I'm not quite sure how to do this. I'm not sure if
this IR Blaster will even work with my DirecTV box, but I'm hoping it
* Channels Changing on MythTV - Kind of related, but basically, I think
I'm trying to use MythTV to change channels when I shouldn't be. Channels
stop at around 125. Since I'm going through an external tuner, I'm not
sure how to turn off this feature and work an external tuner.
* Permissions - I'm not sure (being new to Linux) what user to install
what parts under. As it is, everything is installed under Root! This is
Anyhow, any suggestions would be helpful.
Is anyone running a similar setup (i.e. using an Actisys 200L) to control
a DirecTV box? Should I get a different IR Blaster? Anyone using the
Hauppage remote (grey one that came with the PVR-350) to control their
More information about the mythtv-users