[mythtv-users] Removable storage with MythTV

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Aug 8 21:12:50 UTC 2005

Eileen Webb wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've just started building my Myth system and wanted to run an idea by
> more experienced users to make sure I'm not crazy.
>
> Here's the story:  I live out in the middle of nowhere where the only
> TV that exists is satellite (DirecTV, in our area).  I have some
> family moving nearby who is going to get a system, which by default
> comes with FOUR set-top boxes!  Four is a lot of boxes for only two
> people, and they have graciously offered us the use of one of the
> extra boxes.
>
> So I got this great idea that I'd set up a Myth system at their house,
> program it from my house (yeah for web interface!), and record myself
> some TV.  My plan is to have a two or three removable hard drives
> (actually, just some normal drives that are easy to access) and I
> would swap them around to record shows.  So stuff would get recorded
> onto driveA, then at some point I'd come by and swap it with driveB.
> Then recording could continue on driveB and I'd take driveA home with
> me and watch it there.  The computer at home would also have Myth, so
> the file types and arrangements should still work, and I'll get to
> play with the game emulator, too!
>
> Does this make sense?  Does it seem at all feasible?  From the
> outside, it seems pretty simple, but those are famous last words.  I
> would love any thoughts on this plan -- tips from anyone who has done
> anything similar, horror stories on why I am doomed, whatever.

I'm considering the same thing with my father who gets DirectTV.  My
thought was to use an external hard disk , not as the primary recording
device, but as a storage location.  I am planning to use the
post-recording user job functions to copy the recording to the removable
disk, and export the SQL needed to reimport the recording to my computer
(including seektables, etc).  This way, I don't have to worry about what
happens when things get full as I can let MythTV handle that with
auto-expire + re-record and I can remove the disk at any time (the
copy/export will simply fail in that case) for transport.   To handle
the case of what happens when I remove the disk and miss a copy/export
operation, I had thought of writing a simple script that I can cron that
will check the job queue results, look for failed jobs of this type, and
re-run them on a scheduled basis so that they would be picked up again
when the disk was reinserted.  Or else I would just buy 2 disks and swap
them in and out to avoid the problem altogether.

My other thought was to make the remote system a slave backed using an
SSH VPN type connection and just move the files to my computer
post-recording and change the hostname in the DB but I'm still not
convinced that is the best way to go vs. removable storage.

Kevin