[mythtv-users] burn-in. Should I be worried?

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 21:25:54 UTC 2005

I heard that modern monitors avoided burn in, but I now started
working for a school district that seems to have a habit of leaving
thier machines on, and also having the same detailed background for
all the machines, I have worked on about 1300 machines for them so
far, and I would say about 50% of them are about 5 years old dell
machines with the 17" dell monitor with the old desktop imaged burned
in, places. maybe they have made advances since these monitors were
made (jan 1999 by the sticker), but its a valid concern for me on
anything phosphur screens,

On the Other Han, I have monitors of the same age that have regular
use, and even have had a mythbox that I leave on the menu for days on
the time before I remember turn off, that has been running for about
18 months without any signs of burn. I would say burn probably doesnt
happen in the space of a few days, but more in the years. so change
your myth theme occasionally and use it on different screens, and turn
it off when its not in use for long periods and it might just help,
unless your FE is supremely under powered you might even think about
changing desktop resolution, and even the verticle and horizontal
position if you can to have the image placed on different parts of the
tube

Just a few thoughts

On 8/8/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> travis wrote:
>
> >On 8/8/05, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
> ><mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:
> >

> >>------------------------------
> >>
> >>Message: 25
> >>Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:52:12 -0500
> >>From: Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net>
> >>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] burn-in. Should I be worried?
> >>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

> >>Maybe you should turn off your TV when you're not using it.  :)
> >>
> >>Kevin
> >>

> >If they are talking about having a lower-quality TV, chances are they
> >may not have a receiver/speakers/etc. and turning off the TV will turn
> >off the music as well.
> >

> Yes, but MythMusic has full screen visualizations and can blank the
> screen (IIRC) so there isn't much needed there to avoid burn-in if it is
> indeed a concern.
>
> Kevin

-
I have GMAIL Invites Mail me directly for one