[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast Chicago changing channellineup, SCI-FI moving to digital only

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Tue Aug 9 18:42:19 UTC 2005

I will say that using external boxes ain't so bad, particularly if you plan ahead enough with your installation to put a meaty backend in the basement for example. I plan to do this with "Version 2" of my Myth setup with both DirecTV boxes and a good backend with lots of drives in the basement (directly below my entertainment center), then just drill a hole in the floor for an Ethernet cable and hook to the switch I already have screwed to the back of aforementioned entertainment center.

While I really disagree with the fact that the cable/satellite companies are forcing these boxes on you, there are easy enough ways to work around it. As for IR Blasters, nah... serial connection's the way to go and well supported in Myth. IR Blasters are usually more trouble than they're worth.

This is one problem with this country today; nobody seems to have the balls (or money) to really take a stand against the rampant corporatism that threatens to destroy this country. I'm British, living in the US because of the perceived freedoms I saw half a world away 10 years ago. I find it telling when both my wife and I have discussed recently the possibility of moving back to Britain in order to get some of the freedoms back we've given up in the last few years. Don't get me wrong; I love this country... I just don't love what Corporations are doing to it.

Sorry... OT rant...