[mythtv-users] Mythtv Menu organization

Rob Bongiovi rbongiovi at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 00:22:44 UTC 2005

I am in the final stages of setting up a myth system
for my family. One of the things I decided to do was
change the main menu...very easy. Just take the .xml
menu files from /usr/share/mythtv that you want to
modify and copy them to a
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/<your menu theme name> and
edit. You don't have to copy any file that you are not
modifying...myth uses the default files in those
menus.

In my case, I wanted the main menu to only have the
functions we'll use the most, so I modified
mainmenu.xml to say:

Live TV
Recorded TV
Videos
Music
Pictures
Weather
Other Options

I then copied the default mainmenu.xml to
other_options.xml and edited out the features we won't
use (like the phone). I edited one other
file...library.xml I think...to remove the game
emulator for now. Now, I just select my theme from the
front end setup and away we go.

As easy as that was, there is one "Tivo" feature I
wish we had. Our Tivo remote has a button labeled
"Live TV" and another labeled "List". Those buttons,
take you to live TV or to the list of recorded
programs no matter where you are in the Tivo system.
I'd love to be able to configure MythTV to do that.

Rob