[mythtv-users] knoppmyth, pvr 350, oss, intel-8x0 sound, and volume doesn't work

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Aug 12 14:04:33 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
>
>> When I'm watching a recording or livetv, I can change
>> the volume, but the volume doesn't actually change. I
>> can even change the volume via aumix, but it's all the
>> same. Unless I change the Line volume (currently my
>> Record channel), LiveTV's volume remains the same. Very
>> odd.
>>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/132922#132922

No, that wasn't the problem. The problem is that my snd_intel8x0
has the "master" and "headphone" wires swapped (common problem).

I fixed it by adding this to my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:

options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=1

And rebooting. Now my sound works fine.

BTW, I'm using ALSA with OSS emulation. I tried using ALSA
without OSS emulation, but I kept getting an error in my mythfrontend's
logs stating that myth was requesting a 0hz stream. This seems to be
a common problem with MythTV 0.18.1 as I saw another unresolved
post about it from Jul 2005. Someone claimed it was fixed in CVS,
but I'm not going there. I'll stick with OSS emulation for now.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net