[mythtv-users] Cases for a PVR box... recommendations.

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Fri Aug 12 23:26:56 UTC 2005

>On 08/12/2005 12:20 PM, Jim Reith wrote:
>>Put a piece of red plastic over the two leds and now I get a subtle
>>lavender glow from them
>
>I use a bit of electrical tape over my blindingly blue LED.  Works great.

My wife really likes purple so the red over blue had a high WAF 8^)

>>I found that setting my three HDDs to spin down after 5 minutes gave me a
>>10 degree drop in temps according to mbmon. That made the fans slow down
>>and made the ambient noise much less. I've also just bought replacement IDE
>>cables that are round so i won't have as many obstructions to case airflow
>
>Can you tell us how you set the drives to spin down after 5 minutes?
>I'd like to do the same thing.  Thanks.
>
>--Dylan
>__________

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=Power+Management

This is in my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh, which is in a different place
than the above how-to points to. The first 240 numbers represent 5
second intervals so 60*5 = 300 = 5 minutes. The 240 in the how-to is
20 minutes. I do notice that my hda drive doesn't sleep or at least
not when I'm checking it but the other two do. I have a three disk
lvm set up including most of the first disk and all of the other two
(all 200gb Maxtors)

# allow the disks to spindown after 5 minutes of idle
  /sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hda
  /sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hdb
  /sbin/hdparm -S 60 /dev/hdd

# /sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hdd