[mythtv-users] Checkpointing system

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Aug 13 13:57:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 22:46 -0700, Azmat wrote:
> Is there any way to checkpoint a Fedora Core 3 system so that while
> you are installing/debugging mythtv, if you make a mistake, you can
> rollback to an earlier state?  Thanks.

I don't know if there is a "tool" for that, but I know how i'd do it.
Basically:

build_file_list() {
    files="$(find_all_files_not_installed_by_rpm)"
    files="$files $(all_files_listed_by_rpm_as_modified)"

    echo $files
}

tar czvf checkpoint.tar.gz $(build_file_list)

I suppose the only gotcha is that if you had to roll back, you would
have to get any files modified in an rpm that were not modified at
checkpoint time from the rpm.  So you would need a "rollback" tool too.

b.

Brian J. Murrell