[mythtv-users] Absolutely OT, but I want to hear what you guys think

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Aug 13 19:19:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 15:04 -0400, Tom E. Craddock Jr. wrote:

> Yet the site you linked to in your first posts doesnt mention using the
> developers release osx on x86, it advocates dloading it from a torrent
> source.

So distribution through a torrent automatically == piracy?  Just because
it's made available using distributed bandwidth does not automatically
mean it's an illegal copy.  I think you will start to see more and more
legitimate distribution of "things" via technologies like torrent.  It's
the best overall use of bandwidth.  If you don't understand what I mean,
go read about torrent and why it's a good use of bandwidth before you go
labeling everything available as a torrent as illegal.

> As well, if your using the legit devs release, Im sure they also
> provide hardware for you to run it on,

Why would you assume that?  Do you really think they are going to supply
hardware to every developer that wants to start using it to port their
applications to?  Developer release to me means it a very early release
not intended for non-technical-user consumption but is being made
available to (i.e. third party software) developers to start porting
software to.  I don't know if it's a general release or not but I would
not automatically assume it's a limited release.

> if not explicitly forbidding you
> from running it on hardware other than what they supply. Hmmmkay?

You must have some access to EULAs and so forth that I don't.  Where are
you getting all of your "information" from?

Not that I really care about OSX on x86.  Just trying to stop the spread
of mis-information.

b.

Brian J. Murrell