[mythtv-users] How to stop mythfilldatabase from adding channels

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 23:15:42 UTC 2005

On 8/12/05, Andy Foster <fostandy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to stop mythfilldatabase from automatically adding
> channels to the database? For instance, where I have guide data from
> some undefined xmltv id which does not exist in my db, it will add
> that channel to the database, despite the fact that I have the channel
> defined under another id (which it populates correctly).
>
> Worse still is it seems to ommit to actually put in any actual tuning
> data (fair enough, I don't know where it could get it from), so when
> it goes to record on this channel (I have generally used the 'record
> any showing of this program on any channel' because foolishly I did
> not anticipate rogue channels popping up) it usually ends up recording
> something random. And of course for some reason these channels take
> precedent over my properly defined channels so my last few days of
> recordings has sadly been for naught.
>
> And while I'm at it what's with the automated channel adding
> enthusiasm? This is the second time automated channel adding has
> caused me general disruption and bafflement :) (the first being the
> dvb channel autoscanning).

Andy,

Have you tried running mythfilldatabase manually with suitable xmltv
files (if you have disregard the following ;-))? I use the following
to get UK DVB info:

$ perl /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt --config-file
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/dvb.xmltv --output /home/mythtv/.mythtv/dvb.xml
--quiet

$ /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/dvb.xml

The first command uses XMLTV to get the info I want from the grabber
in an XML file, and the second imports it into MythTV linking the
xmltv ID of the data in the grabbed file to the xmltv ID of the
channels in the MythTV database.

I've never had new channels suddenly appear (only on DVB when a new
one is discovered), but have run the listings updates manually almost
since the beginning and if I see a new channel, either hide it or set
up a suitable ID for it and add the info the xmltv file.

On the problems of MythTV using the new channels, I would use the
channel editor to increase the priority of all existing channels in a
bid to make it carry on using the existing ones when recording.

HTH,
Nick