[mythtv-users] 802.11g optimizations for rebuffering.

tufkal tufkal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 05:14:23 UTC 2005

I recently finished my setup for my mythbox in my living room.  Here are
the specs for reference.

Backend
MythTV 18.1
Mandriva 2005
1.5GHz Pentium 4
512MB SDRAM
220GB /video LVM
2 BT8x8 Framegrabbers
2 SB Live!

Frontend
MythTV 18.1
Mandriva 2005
450MHz Pentium III
192MB SDRAM
10GB Hard Drive
Nvidia 5200 w/ TV-Out

The setup works beautifully.  I have the recording profiles setup such
that both tuners can be recording/playing live tv at the same time
without reaching 100% CPU, memory management is good, and the LVM isnt
taxed too badly.  Streaming music and videos from a samba share work
well, and ive added some extras like MPEG4 CD playback and switch to
XINE for dvd menus.  The problem is with the buffering over 802.11g.

If I start watchign a recorded program and watch it strat to finish, I
have no problems at all.  If I start live TV I can watch with no problem
at all.  If I fast forward, rewind, change channels, or a commercial
skip happens (anything that requires it to reset it's postition in the
video) it becomes jerky and disconnected.  It will eventually correct
itself as the buffer gets a bit of headway, but it is really annoying.
With a CAT5 cable run down the hall, it does not happen.  And I have
watched liveTV for over 7 hours without any problems on the wireless as
well as long as i dont seek or do something to cause the buffer to change.

It is as if when you change the channel, or move back/forward in the
file, it doesnt take the same nice 2 seconds to get its bearings as it
does at the very beginning of playback.  Is there a way to change this
behavior?