[mythtv-users] Debian sarge stable

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 15 13:05:02 UTC 2005

On August 14, 2005 10:58 pm, Ross wrote:
> On 8/15/05, verteiler <verteiler at juro.at> wrote:
> > 1. How do I force apt-get to create the mythconverg database?
>
> Isn't there a mythtv-database package that creates the database? Have
> you tried removing/reinstalling that?

> >   mythvideo: Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.0-7) but 1:3.4.3-13 is to be
> > installed
> >              Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.0-7) but 3.4.3-13 is to be
> > installed
> > E: Broken packages
> >
> > 2. What error is this and how can I resolve it?
>
> I believe the myth packages have dependancies for these packages from
> either etch (testing) or sid (unstable), I'm not sure which.
>
> You will need to add lines in your sources.list for the later debian
> releases. Pinning will probably help here if you want to stick with
> sarge for everything else, see the debian apt howto for more details.
>
> On a side note, does anybody know if Myth actually needs the later
> versions of these packages? Might be worth updating the debs so they
> work with Sarge if they're not required. (which I would be happy to
> do)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ross

I'm sure the only reason that those debian packages need the later versions is
that Matt uses those versions for building mythtv.  If you want to go through
the effort of making and posting packages for sarge and/or etch, I'm sure
that there are lots of us that would be very appreciative, initially.

Just be prepared for the backlash when real life gets in the way of keeping
your packages up to date.  I've felt really bad for Matt for the amount of
nagging he has gotten on this list about his packages which are, after all, a
volunteer service to those of us who don't build mythtv ourselves.

Mark