[mythtv-users] NO DATA between 9:30PM and midnight?

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 15 13:17:47 UTC 2005

On August 14, 2005 02:05 am, Anatoly Ivasyuk wrote:
> I have MythTV 0.18.1 from atrpms installed on FC3 according to Jarod's
> guide, and I'm using Zap2It DataDirect for guide data.  Normally it gets
> about 13 or 14 days of complete data, but starting a couple weeks ago
> I've noticed that data on weekdays between 9:30PM and 12:00AM is showing
> NO DATA except for shows that began before 9:30PM.
>
> Fortunately it updates the current recording day and one day ahead when
> mythfilldatabase runs overnight, so the data fills in and the recording
> schedule updates, but this problem does mean that I can't see part of
> the evening schedule for much of the current and next week so I can't
> schedule ahead.  Is anyone else having this problem, and is there any
> way to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> -Anatoly

I've had this problem on and off for at least eight months.  The problem is in
the way mythtv decides whether the data is incomplete.

On a normal update, mythtv will grab data for today, tomorrow, and any days
for which it does not have data, and any day which it deems to have
incomplete data.

There have been several attempts at improving the way that myth tries to look
for incomplete data in the last eight months, but none have them have worked
perfectly for me.

If I were to build my own myth instead of using prepared packages, here are
two things that I would do to work around this problem without causing too
much extra load on the zap2it servers.

(1) Fetch one less day of data.  It seems to me that when there is empty data,
it exists after midnight GMT.  It seems that myth is trying to fetch to the
very limits of the data that zap2it provides. If we backed off by a day, this
problem may not happen.

(2) On update, fetch data for today, tomorrow, ONE WEEK FROM NOW, and any
empty or incomplete days.  This would only add a little bit of extra load to
the zap2it servers.  Perhaps the powers that be would call it too much for
official packages, but thats what I would do.

Mark