[mythtv-users] Language on ripped dvd

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 14:12:20 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, dan trevino <dantrevino at wrevolution.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 20:35 -0500, Allan Wilson wrote:
> > Thanks for the link to the article to ripping manually. I am going to
> > play with it to see if I can do it manually. Is anyone else having
> > this problem or am I the only one? Since I am not finding that much
> > about this problem I am leaning towards it being my system but I can't
> > see where I have setup anything incorrectly. Thanks for the help.
> >

> I had the same problem ripping one dvd (Bride and Prejudice...dont ask).
>
> Then tonight while watching (not ripping) Alexander from Myth, the 2nd
> DVD automagically started playing with French language. I was able to
> drop out and manually 'mplayer dvd:// -alang en ...' and everything was
> fine. After the it was over, I checked the 'Import DVD' option, and the
> default track shows up as 'en ac3 6ch', so I assume I woulda had the
> same problem with that disc as well.
>
> My default play command is: 'mplayer dvd:// -fs -ao alsa -vo xv'
>
> dan

The problem "seems" to be that transcode operates "dumbly" off audio tracks,
and the default language can switch between chapters. For ripping, I don't
know if there's anything you can really do about it. There doesn't currently
seem to be any way to have mtd use mencoder, and I don't see anyway to set
the language as opposed to the audio track for transcode. The only good
solution I know is to run mencoder manually and specify the language you
want via -alang or -aid.

Also, if you use mplayer, using -alang or -aid may prevent the problem when
you are just watching and not ripping. It certianly won't hurt anything to
add it to your default command line, unless of course you are multilingual
and don't always want to watch in the same language. (If you watch many
foreign films, it wouldn't hurt to add in a -sid or -slang for subtitles
either, just make sure you have a button on your remote set to turn them
off!)

-Ryan