[mythtv-users] Corrupt sound with mythfrontend

iso iso at isorox.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 17:21:26 UTC 2005

Howdy folks

I'm using myth 0.18.1.20050510-1 with an
   ATI Technologies Inc IXP150 AC'97 Audio Controller

Whenever I play music, livetv or recorded programs, the sound keeps
crapping out. I changed my dvd player setting to use xine (I like xine),
and that works with no problems. If I play the oggs on the same machine
with music123 I have no problems. If I play the recorded programs via
nfs on my laptop with xine it works no problem. The only problem appears
to be when "mythfrontend" has control of /dev/dsp.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

The frontend log is full of
 _AddSamples bytes=2048, used=75777, free=436223, timecode=-1

at the begining of the .ogg or mpeg, it also has
 Broadcasting free space avail

and
 audio waiting for space on soundcard: have 1672 need 4096

however there doesn't seem to be a difference between when the audio is
playing fine and when it's corrupt.

The corruption is a little bit of squelch before silence with videos,
and it "jumps" with music. If I rewind the music the same bit plays
fine.

After the audio problems, at least in mythmusic, the timecode is corrupt.
A 3 minute ogg ends at 02:40 - it skips 20 seconds of music

Any comments greatfully recieved.