[mythtv-users] Corrupt sound with mythfrontend

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:45:54 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, iso <iso at isorox.co.uk> wrote:
> Howdy folks
>
> I'm using myth 0.18.1.20050510-1 with an
>    ATI Technologies Inc IXP150 AC'97 Audio Controller
>
> Whenever I play music, livetv or recorded programs, the sound keeps
> crapping out. I changed my dvd player setting to use xine (I like xine),
> and that works with no problems. If I play the oggs on the same machine
> with music123 I have no problems. If I play the recorded programs via
> nfs on my laptop with xine it works no problem. The only problem appears
> to be when "mythfrontend" has control of /dev/dsp.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem before?

I had some issues using my Pundit-R system (uses the IXP150 sound)
which I solved by both installed ALSA 1.0.8 and playing with the
soundcard buffering options in the frontend setup. I also use SPDIF to
connect to my receiver and no longer have any problems (apart from
MythMusic)

> The corruption is a little bit of squelch before silence with videos,
> and it "jumps" with music. If I rewind the music the same bit plays
> fine.
>
> After the audio problems, at least in mythmusic, the timecode is corrupt.
> A 3 minute ogg ends at 02:40 - it skips 20 seconds of music

When playing MP3s with MythMusic I get sporadic jumps (most annoying).
The files are fine because they play fine on my Windows boxes. If I
rewind maybe 20s and then let it play again, the jump is absent, but
then it may jump further through the track, losing maybe 30s of music.
I have no problems using MythVideo (using ALSA) and LiveTV and
recordings playback perfectly.

I asked a while back about when MythMusic was going full ALSA, but the
answer I got was  'what's wrong with OSS'... The real frustrating
thing is that I can't predict when a skip will occur, so trying to
enjoy of whole album usually has me reaching for the CD player
instead.

Nick