[mythtv-users] Gee, I THOUGHT I was a linux fan.

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Aug 16 15:54:56 UTC 2005

Bob Weber wrote:

>Getting a clean mythtv install working is not trivial, usually. The biggest
>problem is usually the video cards. Be prepared to spend some time searching
>the archives, and wallk through the myth documentation. Also ...
>
>On Monday 15 August 2005 07:42 am, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>

>>Apparently, I've hardly ever used Linux.  I once built a few servers
>>running RedHat 7.2, and I use various versions of Unix at my job.
>>(HPUX, FreeBSD, Mac OS X)  But, when it came down to setting up my
>>MythTV box this weekend, I failed big time.  I chose KnoppMyth for it's
>>illusion of simplicity, but was made to feel like a complete idiot.
>>Even worse1.  After the initial install, I noticed it said it was testing
>>DHCP.  I knew this was bad, because my router was set to do MAC address
>>filtering.  I modified my router config to be wide open.  (Scary, but I
>>was shooting for minimum points of failure.)  I could not figure out how
>>to get the thing to retest the network config.  Yes I even tried
>>mythtv-setup, but it actually starts at the step right after the net
>>config.  So, I eventually gave up and reinstalled from scratch.  What
>>would have been the proper thing to do?
>>

>Can you not just add your MAC address to your router? /sbin/ifconfig should
>give you that info, assuming you have the enet driver loaded or built into
>the kernel.

Yes I can, and I did.  But the problem was upon receiving the parts from
newegg, putting them together, and booting off the KnoppMyth CD...  I
had no idea what the MAC address was.  Once I knew the MAC address, I
could find out how to reconfigure the KnoppMyth /Debian network
settings.  It's amazing how many people have everything to say expect
for how to fix the problem.  For the sake of the thread I'll say it
again here.

In KnoppMyth/Debian to configure your network connection, try calling
"pump -i eth0".  It worked for me.

>>2.  I now have my network working.  (I know because I used a text based
>>browser to hit Yahoo.com.)  But, I cannot get the DataDirect "Retrieve
>>Listings" button to do anything.  (I get a new box to popup with no text
>>and a half complete progress bar.  A second later it is gone.)  Yes, I
>>did setup an account on labs.Zap2It.com, and add "Comcast-Dallas (for
>>30134)" (BTW, that's Georgia) to my "Current lineups".  What am I doing
>>wrong here?  Is there a log file somewhere I can check?
>>

>Yes, in /var/log/mythtv, unless you changed the default settings.

Thank you.  This has been most useful.  The developers have done an
excellent job of making sure the logs are thorough, and useful.  Thanks
team.

>>3.  I did setup my PVR-500 as 2 cards, /dev/video0 tuner0 & /dev/video1
>>tuner0, and associate my "Comcast Cable" source to each.  But when I go
>>to Watch Live TV, I get a black screen.  I know I'm not locked up
>>because I can Crtl+Alt+F1-F6 to get to other tty's.  But to get that
>>session (tty7) back I must reboot.  What am I doing wrong here?  Is
>>there a log I can check?
>>

>First verify you can use the cards normally. Try
>

>>mplayer /dev/video0

Great idea, I'll use this tonight as I try to get the tuners working.

>to see if you get anything. You can change channels with ptune.
>

>>4. I tried watching a DVD from my NEC 16xDL-DVD-RW but the Xine screen
>>flashes for a second and then I'm back to the MythTV GUI.  I tried
>>ripping a DVD but it keeps telling me there are no jobs.  What am I
>>doing wrong here?  Is there a log I can check?
>>

>Did you try watching the DVD with xine alone? Save mythtv for last. Check the
>small things first.

No I did not, but yesterday I called "apt-get update; apt-get install
libdvdcss;" and magically now I can watch and rip DVDs.  Thank you to
the many of you that aided me in this.

>>5.  I did get the weather setup and working.  And I added Yahoo.com to
>>my bookmarks.  However I cannot figure out how to type in the search field.
>>
>>I know this would be a long learning experience, but I didn't expect to
>>feel like an idiot.  I guess know I know how my wife feels when I'm
>>trying to teach her something that I think is very simple.
>>

>Feeling like an idiot just means there's lots of good stuff to figure out.
>Have a beer, take a break, and come back when you're ready. :-)

I did have a beer and I must admit, I lost the urge to throw the thing
out the window.  Yaah to depressant drugs!

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.  All I needed was a few small
victories to remind me I am still a competent problem solver.

>>Feel free to to kick, troll, and insult me, but please offer assistance
>>too.

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.