[mythtv-users] VERY slow channel changes? 7-8sec

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 16 19:59:33 UTC 2005

Michael Jones wrote:

>No cable box or anything else weird..
>
>Just regular connection to the cable feed.

Hmm, I have two 250's and a DVB-S tuner in my backend box and both
frontends change channels in about 2 seconds. What file system do you
use for the ringbuffer ? (/cache that is)  Every time you change
channels the ringbuffer is deleted and set up again for the next
channel. On some filesystems/harddisks this can be slow if the buffer is
quite large. Also check if your drive is using DMA and not PIO (dmesg or
hdparm can tell you that)

Here is mine:

/dev/hda3 on /cache type xfs (rw)

It is about 3 Gb in size and is on the boot/system drive (hda) which is
a small (but 7200 rpm) 20 Gb drive, I use a separate 200 Gb drive (hdc)
for recording.

Gert