[mythtv-users] Finally fix for wrong language on ripped dvds

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 03:49:43 UTC 2005

On 8/16/05, Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
> After working on it off and on I have all my dvd's, except one, with the
> correct audio. The problem was that no matter what I did in the myth
> configuration some dvd's would play the wrong audio. To fix this I just had
> to add the following line to /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file:
>
>      aid=128

This speciifies which audio channel to use (you can see which ones you
have by running lsdvd, or mplayer -v). You're expliting the fact that
most DVDs start with aid 128, and most English-language DVDs, at least
the ones sold in the US, have English sound track first. If at least
one of these assumptions is false, your method won't work and you'll
have to add an override on the command line.
You can also try alang=en, this should work independently of aid as
long as DVD has proper langiage codes. If you watch DVDs with no
English track sometimes, you could even do alang=en,fr for example -
English with fallback to French if no English track exists.

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com