[mythtv-users] HowTo fix broken MPEG2 recording with ProjectX?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Aug 17 10:49:52 UTC 2005

>> Do not touch the MPEG file before you pass it to ProjectX as this is
>
> I didn't. Original .nuv is OK. After demuxing this with ProjectX default
> settings and muxing again with mplex, audio is off sync.

 	I don't know that I've heard of anyone with sync problems with
ProjectX.  Have you made sure the original doesn't have troubles before
demuxing?

 	Also, you may try the non-demux option of ProjectX.  I think they
call it "M2P" for MPEG2 Program Stream.  Is it an ivtv stream?  Just
making sure it's not DVB.

>> likely to introduce further problems. You can use ProjectX to also
>> make cuts (I personally use a program called Cuttermaran to do
>
> I tried, but the video editor is higly unstable.

 	I dislike Java almost as much as I despise perl.  To be fair,
though, I haven't had any stability issues with ProjectX.  I installed the
J2RE straight from Sun, though... no rpms or anything.

>> On another issue, how did the file get distorted in the first place?
>
> Apparantly, the signal was lost a few times during the recording.
> Fortunately, mostly (or even only) during the commercials.

 	That's usually what causes it.  Tape transfers seem particularly
bad, since VHS/8MM are generally pretty awful about TBC... TVs are pretty
forgiving.

-Cory