[mythtv-users] Cables and more space...ideas?

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:10:24 UTC 2005

On 8/16/05, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix at lloydnet.org> wrote:

> Ryan Steffes wrote:
>
> > Questions to ask yourself:
> > What parts of the movie are the most important to you?
>
> The movie itself and one AC3 audio track
>

> > Do you need subtitles, multiple languages?
>
> nope, neither
>

> > Do you have a full multichannel stereo
> > set up or are you willing to compress the audio?
>
> 5.1 DD/DTS receiver, so keeping DD audio is a must ... don't care about
> commentary, mult languages, etc
>

> > Are you extremely sensitive to audio distortion?
>
> fairly, but the biggest thing for me is keeping 5.1 ... there just is no
> comparison between a 5.1 movie vs a 2-channel rip of the same movie ...
>

> > A value of 800 for the bitrate will give
> > you results around 700MB for a full DVD depending on your audio
> > settings. Values around 1500 give bigger files, but are very nice
> looking.
>
> the result i'd like to come up with is a rip of a DVD with the same
> video and audio quality as the source, just without the extra crap ...
> when myth rips a dvd to file using the "perfect" method, does it strip
> out everything except the main audio and video or are subtitles, mult
> languages, etc still in there?
>
> thanks!
> -g-
>

>From looking at the source, it looks like a perfect rip just dumps the vob
you select into a file. It should have all the audio and video information
available, it largely just changes the extension from VOB and mpg. Just
removing the extra audio isn't going to save you very much space. Your files
are still going to be multigigabyte.

You should really consider sitting down some afternoon and playing with
mencoder's multipass variable bitrate settings in xvid, and seeing if you
can find something acceptable smaller, otherwise, there's really no point in
bothering at all.

I haven't tested it myself, but this should work:

 tcextract -i movie.mpg -t vdr -x mpeg2 > movie.m2v
tcextract -i movie.mpg -a 128 -x ac3 -t vob > movie.ac3
mplex -f 8 -o movie2.mpg movie.m2v movie.ac3

It's just might not be worth the effort.

Of course, there could be a key detail in the DVDReading that I missed and
you could end up with the exact same result as you started with. You'll have
to have someone smarter than me tell you that,

--Ryan