[mythtv-users] Cables and more space...ideas?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed Aug 17 20:00:03 UTC 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 1:35 PM, James Oltman wrote:
>  DVD Shrink primarily uses DVD discs.  However, there is an OPEN files
> button.  It doesn't list out the type of files it is looking for.  It
> just says, SELECT FOLDER THAT CONTAINS DVD FILES.  I have never tried
> that before.  I assume the VOBs are what it is talking about.  It
> works wonders for me.

hmm, interesting, i'll try it out ... wasn't sure, because a number of
programs seem to require both VOB and IFO files ...

> You have the option to compress a DVD9 down to a DVD5 to fit on a
> DVD-R.

yeah, that's exactly what i want to do eventually ...

> I compressing so I remove the menus, extras, any audio I don't want.
> On discs with both the DTS and DD5.1, I keep both.  It doesn't
> specifically say DD5.1 or DTS, but it says ENGLISH then gives the size
> of the audio tracks.  Obviously, the DTS will be bigger than the DD5.1
> because there is more audio inforation there.

hmm, i didn't know that :) ... can't recall, does xine support DTS
passthrough or just DD?  DD works great for me, i'm just curious :)

> It is a SUPER easy program to use.  After that's done, I go to BACKUP,
> and I save it to an ISO file, and on my MythBE, I have a samba share
> setup.  I just drop the file onto the MythBE and voila!  Done and
> Done.

cool, sounds like exactly what i'm wanting to do (with the addition of
burning off the ISOs eventually)

thanks for the info!!!