[mythtv-users] Tuner for WinTV-Go Card?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 00:39:38 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/05, Scott Minneman <sminneman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey all, I'm (re)building my combined backend/frontend, which uses two
> > WinTV-Go cards.  I cannot for the life of me get the tuners to
> > function properly.  They do not autodetect (in FC3), so I have to use
> > modprobe.conf to set the card and tuner options.
> >
> > On the tuners themselves is printed NTSC 44981 Rev E199.  In dmesg,
> > tveeprom reports "tuner=<unknown>".  Google searches have turned up
> > nothing useful, and the ftvco script (find_tvcardoptions.sh) also
> > failed to discover a working configuration.
> >
> > The most frustrating thing about it is that these same tuners have
> > worked for me before, until the system crashed.  Unfortunately, I was
> > backup-less (will never make that mistake again), so I can't go back
> > and look at the settings that worked then.
> >
> > Is anyone using this card, or have any suggestions for how to figure
> > out the proper settings?
>
> From reading I think the tuner type should be set to 2 for NTSC if
> using the cx88 driver. Which chips do the cards use?
>
> Nick

If you can take a look at the cards to identify its model number
(likely 190 or 191 for WinTV Go) and make of the tuner. If it's not
autodetecting it may be using the BT848 chip which can't be
autodetected. What's the output of lspci (as root)?

Therefore, it might be using the bttv driver instead (for 848/878
chips). For 848 cards, card=2, and for 878 cards, card=10 per the bttv
docs. For the tuner, possible NTSC tuners in the bttv driver are
2,6,8,17,21,27,31,36,39,42,43. You could try the 22 different combos
if you like.

Also, you may find more info here (the source docs contain all the
info on cards and tuners) - http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/drivers.html

If nothing works, try 'modprobe bttv' and 'modprobe cx88' and see if
any output is given. And if you still have the crashed machine's data,
you may be able to get to the modprobe info.

Nick