[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause - how I fixed mine

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Thu Aug 18 14:10:03 UTC 2005

At 09:29 AM 8/18/2005, you wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:39:02AM -0400, Joe Carter wrote:
> > Then I realised my hub (another freebie cast off) is just a 10Mbps one.
> > Directly link the two machines (100Mb cards) and voila, it works.
> > So bog standard ethernet can't cope with fast streams from sources like
> > the BBC. Superb picture btw :-)
>
>When you use a non-synchronous hub (regardless of speed) the throughput
>falls dramatically because the connection is simplex and the
>collision-detection method of arbitrating access leads to a lot of
>failed transmissions and wasted bandwidth while the nodes back off for
>a random period of time before retransmitting.  It's like trading in
>your telephone for a CB radio.  Utilization rates of 40% are typical.
>
>A direct connection would improve the bandwidth usage even without the
>increase to 100MBit because the connection would become full-duplex and
>there would be no collisions since there is only one transmitter on
>each pair of wires.
>
>If you want to have more than 2 computers you need to use a switch (or
>"broadband router").

and with gigabit networking becoming more and more accessible, you can find
100Mbit autodetecting switches for dirt cheap lately. Search the online
deal websites of go grab an "open box" special at your local supplier. You
might even be able to find someone who has upgraded that's willing to sell
you their old one (which would still be an upgrade to you)