[mythtv-users] Directed Speech

David Ellis david at ellisonline.ca
Thu Aug 18 16:14:54 UTC 2005

Okay some background, I'm an Asterisk Geek - I run both MythTV and Asterisk
on the same (very beefy) server.

I recently configured Sphinx2 to provide voice recognition to Asterisk. A
caller gets a prompt, says the name of the person they want to talk too, and
voila it dials. Simple elegant - functional.

So it got me to thinking - could I do something similar with MythTV...namely
provide a directional microphone to capture wav files on demand - process
them thru Sphinx and use that to change channels etc. Picture being able to
say "CNN" or "Channel 45" and have it change channels. I'd probably have to
preference the command with a code word (Say "Command Mode" "Command Mode
Off", or some such to eliminate the TV changing on its own.

So after that long preamble - I'm pretty sure I can configure this (Sphinx
just takes Wav files, and I already have a PERL script that returns TXT
based on a wav file), but before I jump in too deep - has anyone else done
anything like this?

David