[mythtv-users] Is this any good for mythtv?

Christopher David Petersen christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 22:08:59 UTC 2005

 On 8/18/05, Roel Gielen <r.gielen at home.nl> wrote:

> MythTV wrote:
>
> >If you check the archives I believe there was a lot of discussion around
> >some tuner cards being a tight fit in the Pundit.

 I'd go with a Celeron Northwood (400 MHz front-side bus). They perform well
and produce considerably less heat. I've heard that the Pundit-R BIOS
increases the CPU fan speed by 900 rpm when it detects a Prescott-class
(Celeron D) CPU. Celeron 2.6 MHz Northwood CPU's are only $65 on
www.pricewatch.com <http://www.pricewatch.com/>.
 I have a Pundit (SiS not -R) and the PVR-250 is a tight fit. Basically, you
temporarily bend the case to insert and remove the card. It doesn't do any
damage, but it seems scary the first time you do it. Now I do it without
even thinking about it.
 For a hard drive, I'd go with a 200 GB Samsung SpinPoint PATA drive ($92 on
pricewatch). They're very quite, run cool, and have ample performance for
MythTV.
 I transcode all my shows so that a 1 hour show produces a 650 MB file (good
for burning to CD-R). At this rate, a 200 GB drive gives you about 300 hours
of space.
 I'm a real advocate of the Pundit as a base for MythTV systems. It's not
perfect (the IEEE 1394 header and the 4-in-1 card reader are basically
useless), but for ~$420 you can have a great MythTV system. Combined with
MythDora and you've got a working system in minutes!