[mythtv-users] PVR 350, record from VCR

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:17:44 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a PVR 350. Normally it's primary input is SVideo from my Dish
> reciever. However, I'd like to record some of my old VHS tapes to
> disk via the tuner input so I can throw away the old tapes and preserve
> their quality over time.
>
> I know I can switch inputs on the 350 via 'C', but what is the best way
> to go about recording a 2 hr VHS tape? Is this even possible from the
> LiveTV interface?
>
> Ultimately, I'd like these recorded tapes to show up under the video
> section, but my CPU is way underpowered right now and I can't
> decode mpeg in real time using software mplayer, so it would be better
> for them to show up in the TV section for now (this way Myth will
> make use of the 350's hardware decoder). But I'll need to label them
> somehow and preferably put them all under a specific category/show.
>
> Any ideas?

You could setup a manual recording for the duration of the tape. I
would recommend using SVideo or composite to record from the tape
instead of the tuner as I've had better experiences of doing this.
Temporarily swap the SVideo/audio input from the cable box to the VCR,
and then schedule a manual recording starting in the next few minutes.
Cue up the VCR on the TV, then as soon as the recording starts, press
play on the VCR and the tape should be recorded through the SVid
connection from the VCR to the PVR350.

It's quite straightforward and this way you should be able to keep the
video in MythTV's recordings list allowing you to assign it to a
group. You also get to name the recording to whatever you want from
the manual recording interface which sounds like what you are wanting
to do.

Nick